Tuesday, October 21, 2008

And you can take or leave it if you please....

I caught the last 15mins of that terrible* episode of M*A*S*H last night - the one where Henry Blake is going home.

What is it about M*A*S*H ? What makes a show so great that just about every time you flick the channels and it is on, you will sit down and watch it? I have yet to hear someone say that they hate/loathe M*A*S*H. (correct me if I'm wrong)

There is one quote that I always remember from M*A*S*H;

"Hawkeye: War isn't Hell. War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.
Father Mulcahy: How do you figure, Hawkeye?
Hawkeye: Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?
Father Mulcahy: Sinners, I believe.
Hawkeye: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chock full of them - little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander. "

For some reason this conversation has always stuck with me...."There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. " Sums it all up pretty much doesn't it?

Hmm, I think I had more that I wanted to say on all this but my brain doesn't seem to be working. Oh well, what do you think?

Great version of Suicide is painless here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/tv/mediaplayer/default.htm?clip=rtmp://cp44823.edgefcs.net/ondemand/flash/triplej/streams/tv/drones_suicide_lav.flv&title=The

Cartoon is by Vince O'Farrell found here:
http://www.caglepost.com/cartoon/Vince+OFarrell/1593/soldiers+mother.html

*terrible as in great (but still makes me cry every time)

1 comment:

Aussie Locust said...

The original movie of MASH - that proceeded the series, was never intended as a comedy. It was intended to express how everyone caught in the middle of a war has different ways of coping with it.

Some cling to duty and regulations, some take up hobbies or play practical jokes, some form new friendships and some act try to fake being crazy to get sent home.

Every one of the characters was touched by the war, and they all found different ways of coping with the horrors.